Monday, 11 September 2017

Smadhi of Mahan Singh father of Raja Ranjeet Singh

Mahan Singh Sukerchakia (d. 1792), was the Son of Sardar Charat Singh Sukkarchakia (d. 1770), and Mai Desan (d. 1778). He had a Sister named Raj Kaur, who later got married to Sardar Sahib Singh Dhillon (d. 1811), of Bhangi Misl.

He was married to Bibi Raj Kaur, the daughter of Rajah Gajpat Singh (d. 1789), a Sidhu Jatt of the royal Phulkian Jind State. His second marriage was to Bibi Mai Kaur, the daughter of Sardar Jai Singh, a Maan Jatt chieftain of village Mughal Chak, near Gujranwala, where the HQ of Mahan Singh was located. Bibi Raj Kaur, gave birth, to Ranjit Singh in 1780, at Gujranwala, who was destined to become the Sikh ruler of the Punjab, in 1799. Bibi Mai Kaur, also gave birth to a Son, he became the foster brother of Ranjit Singh.

Mahan Singh as the new leader of the Sukerchakia Misl he captured the Rohtas Fort from Nur ud-Din Bamezai, a general of Ahmad Shah Durrani. With the help of Jai Singh Kanheya he laid a four month siege to Rasool Nagar and captured the city from Pir Mohammed, its Chattha leader. The reputation he gained as a result of the siege led to Sardars loyal to the Bhangi Misl defecting to him He continued to expand his territory and captured Pindi Bhattian, Sahiwal, Isakhel, Kotli Loharan, and Jhang. In 1784-5, He used a feud between rulers to raid Jammu, but because he gained a great degree of wealth without sharing or informing his partner Jai Singh Kanheya, Jai Singh refused his attempts to reconcile. Maha Singh then created an alliance with Jassa Singh Ramgarhia and defeated the Kanheya Misl at the Battle of Batala. During the Battle of Batala Jai Singh Kanheya's son and successor, Gurbaksh Singh Kanheya, was killed.
His widow, Sada Kaur betrothed her daughter to Ranjit Singh, Maha Singh's Son. Sada Kaur would later succeed to the leadership of the Kanheya Misl and aided Ranjit Singh in his early victories. In 1792, he died during the siege of Sodhra in Gujranwala, which was being occupied by the Bhangi Misl.

Friday, 1 September 2017

Sunset & River Jhelum (Pictorial Blog) 260317

Jhelum River is a river that flows in India and Pakistan. It is the largest and most western of the five rivers of Punjab. It is a tributary of the Indus River and has a total length of about 725 km (450 mi). In its course this river takes the form of a stream, which is a lovely site for camping in the trekking. 

Course of Jhelum River 

Jhelum River originates from a spring at Verinag, which is at the foot of Pir Panjal in the south-eastern part of Kashmir Valley. It then flows through Srinagar and Wular Lake and enters Pakistan through a deep ravine. The largest tributary of the Jhelum is the Kishenganga (Neelum) River, which joins near Muzaffarabad and enters into the Punjab. 

Monday, 17 July 2017

Gurdawara Pehali Patashi Fathe Bhinder

Cultural heritage is the legacy of physical science artifacts and intangible attributes of a group or society that are inherited from past generations, maintained in the present and bestowed for the benefit of future generations.

Whereas, Tragic from the lost historical architecture is a kind of heritage, which taking last breath’s of its being and about to be vanished from ground and eyes forever. The stories absorbed inside of glorious past from decades, centuries will be end with its loss.

I was wandering in outskirts of Daska in search of a pre-partition Gurdawara which is located in Fatah Bhinder village.
Fateh Bhinder is a small village of twenty, thirty houses. The two storey Gurdawara Building can be seen from a distance. It was constructed outside the village. The elevation of building is different from found other normally Gurdawara’s in Pakistani Punjab.  The doors and windows are constructed of Colonial style buildings Pattern. The covered area of Gurdawara is around 4 kanal. The area is owned by Uqaf Department Punjab and they have given it on lease. Most of the villagers living in Fatehe bhinder were migrated from India after partition. So before partition it was a Sikh population village. Near Gurdawara there is Langer khana building (Place to feed Sikh Pilgrims) as well. There is no building of such stature exists in nearby villages.

Our historian Friend Mirza Safder Baig was also along us during exploration of this Gurdawara. He told that this Gurdwara is of Pehli Patshahi meaning the "Gurdwara of the first master”, visited by Guru Nanak Sahib during his life. Gurdwara Fatehe Bhinder Sahib has been built to preserve the memory of this visit of revered Guru.
The existing condition of Gurduwara is in very bad shape. After partition nobody has done any effort to preserve this historical building. Soon it will be all debris and the last symbol of great legacy of Sikh’s in Fatehe Bhinder will be tragically lost from history for ever.