Tuesday 19 March 2024

Rare find in our backyard! First-ever ultramarine flycatcher sighting in Lahore

10th October, 2022
Lahore 
All photos are taken by me in this article 


Our house is situated in the proximity of the famous Shalimar Garden in Lahore, only a short walk away. We feel fortunate to have a large lawn in our yard, and my father has been planting trees there for many years. Some of these trees are quite old, with some being around 40 years old.

One particular tree that stands out in our yard is a majestic Jamen tree, which is situated at the very heart of our lawn. Its broad, sprawling branches provide a safe haven for numerous birds that seek refuge in its shade. One balmy afternoon in October 2022, while lounging in the yard, I spotted a small bird perched on one of the tree's branches. At first, I assumed it was just another red-breasted flycatcher, a common sight in our yard every year. Without delay, I dashed back to my room to retrieve my camera equipment and managed to capture a few shots of the bird.

To my utter amazement, upon closer inspection, I realized that it was not the usual red-breasted flycatcher, but a female ultramarine flycatcher! A quick search on E-bird confirmed that it was the first recorded sighting of the species in Lahore city. It was a truly unforgettable and extraordinary moment for me!






1 comment: