Thursday 18 February 2021

Memories of meeting with Great Mike Horn during K2 Base camp Trek 2015

2015

The trek from Jhula to Paiyue presented a moderate challenge, yet the rugged terrain and long hikes made it quite strenuous. I found myself hiking alone, determined to reach the campsite of Paiyue as quickly as possible. Suddenly, to my astonishment, I spotted a figure approaching from the opposite direction. With a burst of excitement, I called out, "Is that Mike Horn?" To my delight, he responded, "Yes, it is." Overwhelmed by the moment, I embraced him and eagerly shared how his videos had showcased Pakistan's true beauty to the world. His surprised expression spoke volumes when I conveyed the immense love and respect he had garnered in Pakistan.

Unfortunately, I hadn't brought a camera with me, and my friends were trailing about a kilometer behind us. Despite these setbacks, I mustered the courage to request a picture with Mike Horn and expressed my desire to hike alongside him. He graciously agreed, but humorously remarked that I would have to cover double the distance. Undeterred, I even contemplated going back to Askole just to capture that moment with him. His smile and reassuring pat on my shoulders gave me the confidence to continue. Together, we embarked on the hike.

As we trekked side by side, Mike Horn proved to be an extraordinary individual. He passionately expressed his belief that the foreign media often portrayed an inaccurate and misleading image of Pakistan, while emphasizing the country's innate beauty and warmth. He even mentioned the possibility of joining the Pakistan cricket team as a consultant, having worked with Waseem Akram for the Kolkata Knight Riders for three years. He shared his experience as a consultant for the South African cricket team and his presence during the World Cup match where Pakistan emerged victorious, albeit reluctantly admitting his disappointment in South Africa's defeat. Additionally, he revealed plans to return to Pakistan in winter to undertake the daunting challenge of climbing Nanga Parbat.

The encounter with Mike Horn during that arduous hike left an indelible impression on me. His genuine admiration for Pakistan and his relentless pursuit of adventure showcased his remarkable character. We walked together, bound by a shared appreciation for nature's wonders and a desire to challenge ourselves.





No comments:

Post a Comment